Institution of Engineers(India) Tirupati Local Center

History of Institution of Engineers India

Institution of Engineers India

Institution of Engineers India IEI in the Service of Engineering Profession and Engineering Community since 1920 The visionaries amongst the engineers thought it necessary in the early twentieth century to establish in India a professional society encompassing all disciplines of engineers. The sapling planted in the 1920 has, by now, grown to a big tree and the track record of The Institution of Engineers ( India) has been a matter of pride for all engineers.

In the second decade of the last century India was embarking on industrialization. A report of the Industrial Commission in 1916 recognized the importance of the engineering profession. Proposals were mooted in 1918-19 for the formation of an Indian Society of Engineers. Finally the Institution of Engineers (India) was formed and registered at Madras in 1920. Sir Thomas Holland was one of the active participants leading to the establishment of the Institution and could be considered as its founder.

The Institution of Engineers (India) was registered under the Indian Companies Act, 1913 in the year 1920 and was formally inaugurated in 1921 by Lord Chelmsford, the then Viceroy and Governor General of India. The Institution of Engineers (India) was granted the Royal Charter of Incorporation 1935 by His Majesty the King George V of England in 1935, “to promote and advance the science, practice and business of engineering in all its branches in India”. Starting with this humble beginning, The Institution of Engineers (India) is now an unique professional body encompassing 15 engineering disciplines and with an overall membership of over 0.5 million.

READ MORE

Institution of Engineers India - Tirupati Local Center

Institution of Engineers India


Institution of Engineers India - Tirupati Local Center was established in the year 1992 by the sustained efforts of Er.T.Narayana Reddy, FIE, and started functioning initially from a rented building at Reddy & Reddy colony, Tirupati. The founder Chairman was Er.T.Narayana Reddy and the Hon. Secretary was Er.K.Hanumanthu, FIE.

The S.V.University authorities were generous enough to lease out an acre of land in the University campus near S.V. University College of Engineering for 55 years to the Institution of Engineers India, in the year 1994. A modest building came up at this site, built with a cost of Rs.4/- lakhs, and was inaugurated on 21.3.1996.

With the efforts of Er.B.Muni Reddy, FIE, Chief Engineer (Retired), Tirumala Tirupathi Devasthanams, a Conference hall over the ground floor was constructed in 1998. Er.K.Ranganatham, CMD, APSPDCL, TIRUPATI & Chairman of the IEI Tirupathi local center, in the year 2002, raised donations for construction of 4 numbers guest rooms furniture for the same. There are at present four well furnished double bedded rooms made available to the members of IEI, India, at a nominal rent of Rs.250/- per head / day.

Nellore District was also added to the jurisdiction of Tirupathi Local Centre and the strength of corporate members which was 215 in 1992 has risen to 400 in 2005. At present, the strength is 500. There is a bright possibility of increasing this strength to 1000 members thereby, our local Chairman becomes a member of the all- India Council.

READ MORE

TO TOP